As part of our mission to bring you the finest teas from their historical origins, I am currently traveling throughout China and have arrived at legendary Tong Mu Guan village in Wuyi mountain, a beautiful nature preserve considered to be the birthplace of the first black tea, Lapsang Souchong.
The story has it that over 400 years ago, local tea farmers were forced to abandon their drying tea leaves due to the approach of a army unit. Upon returning the next day and finding the leaves oxidized into a reddish-brown color, they attempted to salvage the leaves on the spot by drying them over a pine-wood fire, thus creating the first fully oxidized black tea. To this day, Tong Mu village is the only place in the world that produces the distinctively smoky Lapsang Souchong tea!
Tong Mu Guan is also home to a most recent invented black tea called "Jin Jun Mei". I had the privilege of meeting with its inventor Mr. Liang Jun De at his famed factory.
Please watch for the addition of these, and many other extraordinary teas to our selection of fine teas very soon!
The village of Tong Mu village:
Leave a comment
October 12, 2015
- This Month
- Previous Articles
- Three Tea Life Hacks You’ll Wish You Started Doing Yesterday
- The Secret of Pu-erh Tea: Metamorphosis
- A Beginner’s Guide to Purchasing Loose Leaf Tea
- MeiMei Fine Teas is Awarded a Silver Medal in 2018 Global Tea Championship
- Why You Need At Least One Jun Teacup In Your Collection
- Your Guide to the Tea Cup – Part II
- Your Guide to the Tea Cup – Part I
- Making Tea? This is the Most Important Thing to Have - Part II
- Making Tea? This is the Most Important Thing to Have - Part I
- A Purchasing Guide to the Best Tea Scales
- A Beginner’s Guide to Loose Leaf Tea
- The First Thing to do with Your Loose Leaf Tea
- The Eight Cups of Tea Challenge
- The Colors of Our Teas – A Quick and Friendly Guide to Tea Types
- A Tea Unto Itself – Phoenix Dan Cong Oolong Tea
- A Cup of Tea for Healthy Eyes?
- Why Drinking Tea is the Perfect Way to Kick Off 2018
- A Year in Review
- That One Tea Steeping Trick : Leaf Agitation
- Make Your Tea Instantly Better – The Art of Pouring
- These Three Benefits of Black Tea Make it the Perfect Winter Life Hack
- Homemade Tea-Infused Shortbread Cookies, the perfect tea treat for your holidays
- Thanksgiving's Blessings and Nature's Great Gift
- The Perfect Tea Gift Guide: Eight Exceptional Gift Ideas for the Tea Lover in Your Life
- The Truth about Pesticides and Tea
- Five Must Have Pu’erh Teas for the Collector
- Ranking the Top Three Teas to Help Keep you Warm
- How to Measure Your Loose Leaf Tea
- Tea Spotlight: Award Winning Floral Shui Xian Oolong Tea
- MeiMei Fine Teas in Hurricane Harvey Relief Effort
- What’s So Special about Phoenix Dan Cong Oolong?
- How to Make the Switch from Coffee to Tea
- What is Purple Tea?
- Ancient Advice: A Guide to Grandpa Style Tea
- The Secret to a Good Cup of Tea
- 3 Fun Facts You (Probably) Didn’t Know About Pu’erh Tea
- What Is Pu’erh Tea and Why Is It So Captivating? (Part II)
- What Is Pu’erh Tea and Why Is It So Captivating? (Part I)