Not only is the 3,200 year-old puerh tree located in Fengqing, Yunnan, but it is where you can find other majestic and breath-taking sights as well.
In the second week of April, Victoria was on the way to see the next important stop, a 2,000 year-old puerh tea tree. On the way, Victoria witnessed a spectacular view of the mighty Lancang River!
The Lancang River (also known as the Mekong) is the 12th largest river in the world, snaking its way over 2,700 miles (4,350 km) through Tibet, China, Myanmar, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam. It is an area rich with life of all kinds, its rich biodiversity rivaled only by the Amazon.
The roads on the way to see the 2,000 year old puerh tree are very narrow and rough. The cliffside was very steep on both sides of the road. In the photo, you can see how steep it rises upward but this same slope continued downward on the other side of the road as well! We were ascending over 2,000 meters to see the ancient trees!
This is the 2,000 year old puerh tree. Though the terrain was rugged and difficult at times, venturing out to discover such natural treasures is what makes these trips all the worthwhile.
At another angle, you can see how its branches twist and turn. It seems vibrant and healthy for its age (if only people could have such luck)! It stands out over everything else in the area, almost as if it were there to protect and watch over the rest of its arboreal neighbors.
And here's one more photo up-close, taking a look at the trunk of this beautiful tree. Healthy and true ancient gushu puerh tea trees should be large and lively, like this one. Its size is a testament to not only its age but its strength, its character, and its environment. If we're going to source gushu puerh, then these are the kinds of trees we need to find.
Leave a comment
May 01, 2017
- Previous Articles
- “Three Thousand Weak Waters, Only One Scoop” – Introducing Yixing Teapot Shi Piao (石瓢)
- A Perfect Circle: Tasting the 2013 Fuding White Peony Natural Beauty Cake
- The Joy of Tasting a Pu'erh: Lao Man'E Ancient Tree, Sheng
- Enjoying the Process: The Four Stages of Pu’erh Tea Tasting
- The Hidden Price of Tea: How Trump’s Tariffs Could Cost You Your Cup
- Caffeine and Your Tea: Myths and Misconceptions
- Green Tea Steeping FAQ: How Long You Should Brew, Resteeping, Water Quality and More
- Why is West Lake Dragonwell Green Tea More Expensive Than Other Dragonwells? Long Jing and The Hidden Factors of Tea Pricing
- Beyond the Tea Sourcing Trips – Why Terroir Matters, An Interview with Victoria Wu (Part 2)
- Beyond the Tea Sourcing Trips – An Interview with Victoria Wu (Part1)
- Wuyi Rou Gui: What’s the Difference between Shui Lian Dong and Ma Tou Yan?
- Meet Fo Shou Zhen Yancha, a Buddha’s Hand Wuyi Rock Oolong
- How to Season a Yixing Teapot
- How to Drink Tea from a Gaiwan
- What’s Right for You, the Gaiwan or the Teapot?
- Choosing the Right Utensils: The Gaiwan
- A Brief History of the World’s Oldest Tea: White Tea
- The Complete Guide to Iced Tea, Pt. II: Cold Brewing
- The Complete Guide to Iced Tea, Pt. I: Flash Chilling
- What Makes for a Good Green Tea?
- Why Tea Lovers Look Forward to the Tea Harvest
- Meet the Legendary “Mother of All Teas”
- A Brief Guide to Steeping Loose Leaf Teas
- Understanding Pu’erh and Appreciating the Importance of Terroir
- What is Gan Pu Tea and Why Should You Be Drinking It?
- What is Teng Tiao Cha (“Rattan” or “Vine” Tea), and What Makes It So Unique?
- Pu’erh You Should Know: A Brief Introduction to Mengku Pu’erh
- Tea Tasting Guide: How to Taste and Appreciate Wuyi Rock Oolongs
- Bai Ji Guan: One of the Four Famous Wuyi Rock Oolongs and Why You’ve Never Heard Of It
- Pu’erh Tea Benefits: What You Need to Know about the Next Big Superfood
- A Brief History of Tea: How Curiosity Accidentally Created the Drink that Conquered the World
- Should You Use Bottled Water or Tap Water for Your Tea? It’s Complicated.
- The Difference between Sheng Pu-Erh and Shu Pu-Erh
- Family, Friends, and Community: The Importance of the Chinese Lunar New Year and What it Means for You
- How Can You Get the Most Out of your Pu-erh?
- What Makes Wuyi Rock Oolong Tea So Unique?
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Teacup Shapes
- Pairing Your Tea and Teaware, A Regional Approach
- What You Need to Know about Anxi Tieguanyin
- Four Reasons We Love Yixing Teapots
- Say Hello to Jian Shui Zi Tao Purple Clay Teapots!
- Meet the Intoxicating, Enchanting Long Yuan Mark, a Fire-Roasted Puerh
- The 2018 MeiMei Fine Teas Ultimate Holiday Gift Guide, Pt. II (Teaware)
- The 2018 MeiMei Fine Teas Ultimate Holiday Gift Guide, Pt. I (Teas)
- Recipe: Move Over Coffee, the Eggnog Tea Latté has Arrived
- A Look at the Latest Award-Winning Teas, pt. II: Wuyi Rou Gui Rock Oolong
- A Look at the Latest Award-Winning Teas, pt. I: Long Jing Dragonwell
- What is Lapsang Tea? Just the Best Tea You can Drink in the Fall Season!
- Do You Really Need to Preheat Your Mug or Teapot?
- Are You Waiting Too Long to Resteep your Tea?